Traditional way to cover funeral/burial:

The expenses of preparing the dead, like the fees for the person who digs the grave, the fees of washing the dead, and the price of the coffin and the like, should all be paid from the money of the dead, in principle, and if he has no money, then it is those who were obligated to spend on him who should provide the above. If there is none, then it is Government that should spend on this. If there is restriction or limitation from Government, then it is the neighbors or relatives who are present around him (at the time of death) or who heard of him who should provide this. Download the guide for Muslim funeral.

Burial fund by NYC HRA is NOT enough to cover a modest Funeral expense:

The Human Resources Administration (HRA) will provide financial assistance to individuals in need of assistance to meet funeral expenses. These funds are available when an indigent resident of New York City dies who may have been in receipt of Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Cash Assistance (CA), or leaves no funds to cover his or her burial expenses, and there are no Legally-Responsible Relatives (LRR) able to pay the funeral expenses.

What can be covered by NYC HRA:

1. HRA will pay up to $900 towards burial expenses, but total burial expenses must be no more than $1,700. The cost of cremation or grave and grave opening charges are excluded, however, the cost of burying the ashes, after cremation is not excludable in calculating the $1,700 total cost. If the total funeral bill exceeds the amount of $1,700, HRA will make no payment.

2. Any asset (whether or not previously assigned to HRA), that was available to the deceased or any amount that a LRR (e.g., a spouse or parent of a minor child) may have had on the Date of Death (DOD) is deemed available, and any amount paid or to be paid by any other source, will be subtracted from the $900 payment if the claim is determined eligible for payment. Any assets or resources left by the decedent on the date of death will be subtracted from the $900, if the claim is otherwise determined to be eligible.